Teenangels.org - Official Blog

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

the reflections of one of our teenangels when she presented for the first time oot parents

On November 9th I attended a parent’s meeting at a middle school in Ossining. Beforehand, we were told that we would be speaking to a group of parents who were very concerned about the dangers of allowing their kids to go onto social networking websites. On the drive to Ossining, I looked over my speaker’s notes for the presentation. I practiced my methods of deep breathing so that I would be relaxed before presenting. We entered the school and set up our technical equipment on stage. After each of us looked over our notes more than once, the parents of children in the Ossining school system began to take their seats. We listened as the principal of the school stated her views on middle school students visiting social networking sites. She then introduced us and we took our place on stage. I could feel that sensation of excitement mixed with my nerves as I prepared to present at the podium. I presented a slideshow on cyberbullying and its effects. I also spoke of how parents should be involved in their children’s access to the Internet. As I spoke, a feeling of great importance swept over me. In that moment, I was teaching parents how to keep their children safe… how to potentially save millions of lives. Afterwards, I listened to a police officer speak about the dangers of MySpace. He began with a description MySpace, and then gave examples of the dangerous content that anyone can access and he even showed the crimes resulting from this social networking site. The detective’s words impacted me in many different ways and I could not stop thinking about the statistic- 54% of children have communicated with a stranger online. These experiences make me very proud to be a Teenangel and I look forward to many more presentations in the future.

-Kate (a Teenangel from the New Rochelle Chapter)

5 Comments:

  • Oh, come off your high horse, you little brat! You run in this club that WANTS to find danger EVERYWHERE. The most dangerous thing for children these days are their parents and these types who want to protect them from everything that moves. That, my friend, IS the true sickness in our culture.

    The reason the Internet exists IS because of "strangers" or what one might want to find "out there" that they've never seen. These days the internet is the ONLY place where a kid can go to get away from their parents' Bush-like spying. And the good thing about it is that kids will always be smarter than their parents when it comes to technology, so they'll always be one step ahead of you guys.

    It's high time kids take back their freedom of speech and association, 'cause as it goes right now we're about as oppressed as the slaves were.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:11 AM  

  • Ahh, the bravery of Anonymous comments. I loved "Bush-like spying". The commenter need say no more. I know their type.

    I think it is great what you are doing. I would LOVE to do an online interview with you for my website. I host a blog that I encourage all the paretns of the school i work for to read eash week with new "Tech tips for parents". Cyber-bullying is a new thing at our school that no one really knows how to deal with it. I would love for one of my articles to be an interview with you. If you are interested, please contact me at (remove the spaces in this address, i do this to prevent spam) j b r a l y @gmail.com

    and please feel free to visit my site at www.techtipsforparents.org

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:58 PM  

  • Fantastic job. I have interviewed tweens, teens, parents, law-enforcement, and everyone and anyone. My husband travels internationally which gives me plenty of time to gather information on cyber-bullying. A good friend of mine knew this teen since he was a baby. He recently committed suicide because of repeated sadistic postings by his so-called friends. I would love to interview you for my future book. I have written several books-"Animal Are Angels", "Diaries of 1,000 Battered Women", "Furry Angels",
    "1,000 Reasons Why You Are Special" and others. Blessings to you and keep up the great work. Nancy BB Meyer-Nye...585-733-6213 cell phone or e-mailnmeyer@rochester.rr.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:42 PM  

  • You are doing excellent work, keep it up. The important messages of internet safety is taken more seriously coming from a peer than from an adult. You are a leader.
    Dr. Russ Sabella
    http://www.GuardingKids.com

    By Blogger RS, at 7:23 AM  

  • As you shall make your bed, so shall you..........mess it up
    http://www.br3games.com

    By Blogger Puma, at 3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home